Monday, March 25, 2013

Outside forces - Nonny and students

So, I had two thoughts today after therapy tonight. The first was a recurrent thought I've had in the women's room at the office - the wallpaper and pleasant potpourri scent remind me SO much of my beloved late Nonny's bathrooms in her condo.  Maybe she is looking over me during this hellish process?  That thought gives me warm fuzzies.  I know that if she were still here, she would stroke my hair with her elegant, manicured fingers, and hold my hand and tell me that everything was going to be OK.  It is a very comforting thought.


Another group of people who have an impact - both good and bad, are the students I work with.  They are so sweet and very interested in everything about my life - which is good...and bad.

"Miss, when are you going to have a baby? You'd make the best mom!"

"Oh, you're married?  When are you going to have kids?"

"Are you pregnant!!!!?" (That's my favorite when wearing perhaps not the MOST flattering outfit...)

"What are you waiting for? You're not that young anymore!  Don't you want to have lots of kids?" (Many of my students have young parents.)

I love their enthusiasm and care about me.  I am flattered by their faith in my untested parenting skills.  But...what a twist of the knife.  I'm just glad I don't work in a school with a high teen pregnancy rate...that might put me over the edge!

So basically, I believe that Nonny is watching over me, and I would prefer my students keep their baby wishes/questions to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment